Ybor Historic Markers
“The Krewe of the Knights of Sant’ Yago: In 1175 Pope Alexander III authorized “La Orden Real Sant’ Yago” to protect the Pilgrims’ Way to the shrine of Santiago (St. James), at Santiago de Compostela, Galacia, Spain. Among the Spanish conquerors of America, Ponce De Leon, Panfilo De Narvaez and Hernando De Soto were members.
“In 1972, Ybor City civic leaders, Dr. Henry Fernandez, Cesar Gonzmart, Joe Granda, Joe Lopez, and Daniel Martinez obtained the first charter of the Order in America. The Krewe is dedicated to the preservation of Latin traditions in Tampa. The Columbia Restaurant is Krewe headquarters. Many of its functions are held here.”
“The Rough Riders Rode By Here, 1898: The intersection of Seventh Avenue and Twenty-second Street was a sandy cross-road connecting three army encampments in the Ybor City area during the Spanish-American War.
“At this cross-road was located a water-trough where the Rough Riders watered their mounts.
“Col. “Teddy” Roosevelt frequently rode by here on his horse “Texas,” followed by his little dog, “Cuba.”